500.000 κάτοικοι της Γουατεμάλας εντάχθηκαν στην Ορθόδοξη Εκ

500.000 κάτοικοι της Γουατεμάλας εντάχθηκαν στην Ορθόδοξη Εκκλησία

Με κάποιες επιφυλάξεις του αγγλόφωνου μπλογκ της Ιεραποστολής To the Ends of the Earth, σας παραθέτουμε την είδηση για την ένταξη μιας ανεξάρτητης εκκλησίας με πάνω από 500.000 μέλη σε Γουατεμάλα και Νότιο Μεξικό στην Ορθόδοξη Εκκλησία. Οι αρχικές πληροφορίες έκαναν λόγο για μια ομάδα από 50.000 έως 70.000 υποψήφιους να ενταχθούν στην Ορθόδοξη Εκκλησία. Οι νεώτερες μιλούν για μια ομάδα 527.000 υποψηφίων για Βάπτισμα και Χρίσμα στην Ορθόδοξη Εκκλησία , αλλά και για συζητήσεις με άλλη ανεξάρτητη εκκλησία 800.000 μελών !!! Το αγγλόφωνο μπλογκ επισημαίνει, βέβαια, τη δυσκολία ένταξης στην Ορθόδοξη Πίστη και ζωή τόσων πολλών ψυχών, γιατί χρειάζεται συστηματική κατήχηση, προσευχή και προσοχή.

I usually don’t comment on what I post, but this time I think I should add a caveat as there seems to have been a lot happening behind the scenes that isn’t readily knowable. And what is knowable only raises more questions. I don’t mean to cause scandal by pointing these things out, but only to say that the internet is only as good as the information posted, and to say that our new brothers and sisters in Guatemala could use our fervent prayers, and perhaps other support if possible.

First there is the matter of why the EP received this group, rather than the OCA. Even just a few months ago, in December, 2009, Met. Jonah of the OCA spoke in an interview, found here, about the Guatemalans. In January, OCA News reported that Bishop Benjamin and Fr. Michael Oleksa of the OCA had travelled to Guatemala for further discussion. And now, only two months later, it is announced that the EP has received the group, and the current role of the OCA in this, if any, is unknown.

One can guess, from the website of the apparently newly-created General Secretariat for Pan-Orthodox Ministries of the EP’s Metropolis of Mexico, that the EP received the Guatemalan group out of their perceived mandate to care and evangelize the non-Orthodox world. But this doesn’t explain the role, current or past, of the OCA.

In addition, there is the matter of Fr. Andrew, the priest who received this group, and who heads the St. Gregory Nazianzen Orthodox Theological Institute, based in Puerto Rico. From an announcement made in August, 2009, found here, it appeared that Fr. Andrew and the Institute were both under ROCOR, but that no longer seems to be the case.

Lastly, there is the question of numbers. Below, it is reported to be 500,000 new members received into Orthodoxy, with another 800,000 ’seekers.’ But in January, the OCA News report mentioned above only said 50,000. But either way, these are astounding numbers.

I don’t know what exactly these apparently inconsistencies mean, nor do I want to publicly speculate. I hope that the OCA, or the relevant members of such, will continue to be involved in receiving and catechizing the Guatemalans, as I don’t know how one person, Fr. Andrew, is going to be able to properly care for this entire group. Indeed, may this reception be a means for pan-Orthodox co-operation, and may great fruit be borne.

As with any conversion, baptism and chrismation are only the beginnings, and so our new brothers and sisters will need much time, prayer, and assistance as they mature in the Faith. May God grant us to help them in this as we are able.

Over 1/2 Million New Members to be received into the Holy Orthodox Church

After months of catechetical and pastoral follow-up, the Archiepiscopal Vicar, the Right Reverend Mitered Archimandrite Dr. Andrew (Vujisić), traveled to Guatemala in January 2010 and received Msgr. Andrés Girón and Msgr. Mihail Castellanos of the independent Iglesia Católica Ortodoxa de Guatemala (ICOG), into the Orthodox Church. At that time, guidelines were also established to facilitate the reception of the ICOG’s 527,000 members, which are overwhelmingly indigenous. The former ICOG has 334 churches in Guatemala and southern Mexico, 12 clergymen, 14 seminarians, 250 lay ministers, and 380 catechists. It also has an administrative office on 280 acres, a community college and 2 schools with 12 professors / teachers, and a monastery on 480 acres.

Fourteen students from Guatemala are now enrolled in the St. Gregory Nazianzen Orthodox Theological Institute Licentiate degree program.

In February 2010, the Right Reverend Mitered Archimandrite Dr. Andrew (Vujisić) returned to Guatemala and met with clerics and others who assist in the Church’s pastoral work and outreach. He discussed mission and ministry priorities, and economic development with Msgr. Andrés Girón and Msgr. Mihail Castellanos. He met and encouraged the faithful who collaborate in the diverse ministries in Guatemala, visited schools and institutions, and spoke at length with seminarians regarding matters related to the Orthodox faith, especially the importance of the development of an Orthodox phronema, praxis, and liturgical life.

His Right Reverence inspected places of worship, liturgical vessels, vestments, etc. in order to assess the needs of the Church in Guatemala.

Twelve full sets of vestments for Priests were given to Msgr. Mihail Castellanos. Catechisms were distributed to the lay ministers and catechists.

In his talks with the clergy and faithful of the ICOG, the Right Reverend Mitered Archimandrite Dr. Andrew (Vujisić) reiterated the message of St. Paul: “I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your nous (mind), that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God” (Romans 12: 1-3).

He stressed the importance of formulating an Orthodox worldview through prayer, fasting, repentance, struggle against sin and overcoming the passions, participation in the Holy Mysteries, and the reading the Holy Scriptures and the writings of the Holy Fathers. His Right Reverence conducted impromptu question and answer sessions everywhere he visited. Interest and excitement permeated the discussions.

The Right Reverend Mitered Archimandrite Dr. Andrew (Vujisić) also visited Holy Trinity Monastery (Antiochian Orthodox Church), where he held lengthy discussions with Abbess Inés and Mother María, and later prayed at the magnificent monastery Church, where he blessed the Russian iconographers of the Prosopon School of Iconology. He traveled to Guatemala City and visited the orphanage, Hogar Rafael Ayau, meeting, embracing, and blessing the children, and later having lunch with them.

He held meetings with ‘Orthodox seekers’, who represent another 800,000 souls, regarding the straight and narrow path of reception into Orthodoxy. His Right Reverence will return to Guatemala after the Holy and Great Pascha of the Lord for follow-up meetings and discussions.

( http://orthodoxmissions.wordpress.com/2 ... guatemala/ )

( http://www.aoiusa.org/blog/2010/03/over ... ox-church/ )

Η είδηση είναι συγκινητική. Προσευχόμαστε στον Πανάγαθο Θεό να στηρίξει την επιστροφή των όλων των ετερόδοξων ή σχισματικών Χριστιανών στο Σπίτι Του, την Ορθόδοξη Εκκλησία. Ελπίζουμε ότι η ένταξη αυτή σηματοδοτεί μια κοινή Πανορθόδοξη Ιεραποστολική δράση σε όλο το κόσμο και προσευχόμαστε να βρεθούν σύντομα και άλλοι Ορθόδοξοι Ιεραπόστολοι σε Αφρική, Ασία και Λατινική Αμερική που να προωθούν την ένωση ανεξάρτητων ” εκκλησιών” με το Σώμα του Χριστού, την Ορθόδοξη Εκκλησία. Δόξα τω Θεώ.

ierapostoli.wordpress.com
«Γνώσεσθε την αλήθειαν και η αλήθεια ελευθερώσει υμάς»
Απάντηση

Επιστροφή στο “Ορθοδοξία”